Currently the home of the Mary Marshall Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, the Governor's Mansion was built in 1839 with the hopes that it would become the governor's home if Marshall were selected as the state capital.
These expectations were based on certain arrangements by those in power whereby certain mutual benefits were to accrue along the line of the Old Territorial Road. Ann Arbor was to get the University, Jackson the prison, and Marshall the capital.
A large area was set aside on the south side of town that was financed locally and named Capital Hill. So sure was the town of its selection that an area was named Capital Square. Lots in this section were sold for fantastic prices and it was expected that the Capitol would face Marshall Avenue in a location later occupied by the B. E. Henry Building.
During this period J. W. Gordon settled in Marshall and ran for lieutenant governor of Michigan in 1840. He won and when Governor Woodbridge left the governors office for the US Senate in 1841, Gordon become acting governor of Michigan. Mr. Gordon had purchased land in Marshall and had built a large house across the street from the land proposed for the Capitol. This house has been referred to as the "Governor's Mansion" since erection in 1839.